Romania!

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Home Away From Home


My living situation is somewhat different than I was expecting, but it's very nice. I'm in a great location right near the center of town and just a 5 minute walk from the main Tapa office (access to the internet, staff, etc.) Many volunteers have to take a bus just to reach the town, so I am very lucky with my spot! I live in a room on the 2nd level of the house owned by my family. I'm not sure I've met everyone who lives there yet, because there seem to be a lot of them! I don't really see the family too often. They bring up dinner at night and that's pretty much the most I see of them. The mom, Roddica, is very nice and talks to me every night, but it's all in Romanian so there's not much of a conversation. We've gotten pretty good at using hand signals and me trying to guess the words she's looking for. Her daughter, Ramona, speaks very good English, so she's the one I look for if I need something. I'm sad I don't get to interact with them more, but hopefully over the next 9 months that will improve and I will see them more and more! I think once my Romanian improves a little I'll be better off.

This is the room where I sleep - mine is the bed in the corner. I had a roommate for the first 2 days I was here, but she left early because she missed being home (this picture was taken in the middle of her packing process so our room is not so neat). So, now I am alone in here, but I think they're going to put someone else in soon. It will be nice to have a roommate I think because it might get a bit lonely by myself!


This is the table in the room where I eat dinner. My family is very nice and asked me what I like to eat. Romanian food is a little different, but so far I've been able to eat everything they've served (big accomplishment for those of you who know how picky I am!!)

I tried to upload a picture of the bathtub as well, but it didn't work. The funny thing about it is that they have to come light a fire under the water tank in order for me to have hot water! They do this for me every night, so it works out well. It's just funny to have to wait for someone else to be able to take a bath (no shower - all baths!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home